Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New Day

As today begins I am once again extremely sore. Good news is I am walking as it is my arms that are in pain- why is it so hard to straighten them?
Mid July after being in Maui for about a month Clint stumbled upon Crossfit- he did a workout and decided that I would also love it.  Little did he know that I not only would love it, that I would get upset when I can't go or he does not go with me. 
For years I have been a gym rat, 5'2" weighing somewhere between 115-125, depending on the time of month or if my Thyroid decided to get out of whack.  I have taught spin classes since '98, was a PE teacher and coach and even had personal trainers to keep me motivated. I have always shown improvement and then would plateau, get bored and complain- I need constant change with my workouts....I think it might have ADHD, those who know me will probably agree. I guess you could say I have always been in the search of the perfect always changing workout, that challenged me and (God help me) did not have to last an hour! July 20, 2010 was the day.
Let me just say...the first week of Crossfit I really did not think I was going to make it. I could barely walk, pick up 15lbs and most certainly needed assistance with sitting....ANYWHERE!  Snaches, burpies, jerks, kettle bell...you want me to do WHAT and lift....are you crazy? I have a BS in Kinesiology - Crossfit was a whole new language, a whole new way to work out. 
After the first week of these workouts - I am like most women - I have to make sense of why I am doing this and why are we going to move this way. I started to question: "Is this going to be like Algebra...you learn it now so that someday you might use it?" " Am I doing this because I am almost 35?"  I have to admit I am using it- doing a deadlift to pick up a case of Diet Mountain Dew to move into the kitchen and yes I want to be in great shape so that Clint and our future kids can be proud of me and use me as an example as I do with my paternal grandmother.
So here I am in week 6 of Crossfit- this is what I know. I have gained muscle weight and have held 119 for 4 weeks. I can now deadlift in practice 115lbs, 5x (can't wait for 1 rep max testing), I have NO problem doing a snatch and push press with 55lbs and have even gone up to 65lbs.  I still loath running, but do it and that 15lb Kettle Bell is in my past.  I know what snaches, burpies and jerks are.  While these are the hardest workouts I have ever done I enjoy it, seeing my sweet man work out with me is a bonus and the good it is doing for our bodies will still allow us to eat what we want (Anthony will love that comment). So at our usual time tonight I will be in the sweat box, complaining but enjoying every minute when it is all over! 

No comments:

Post a Comment