Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Texas

I have now spent 76 consecutive days in the state of Hawaii. This morning while looking through Face Book I came across a video - Gary P Nunn singing "What I like about Texas"- the video just shows pictures of Texas and lots of Lone Star Beer.  To tell you the truth, it left me a bit home sick.

Thursday night, college football season starts.  Besides seeing the Bluebonnets in April, I think football season in Texas is my favorite time of year.  Friends gathered around TV's in local dives, backyards and living rooms. The smell of BBQ in the air- the tiny bit of crisp cool air that surrounds and brings a promise that winter and the dreaded "cedar season" is on the way.  Being able to wear my A&M jersey with a mini skirt and boots- getting a nice sunburn at the game and then heading over to Northgate for a cold beer- yummm.  OK since we will be back in October I am thinking if we have sometime we might need to go to a game.

I think Texans as a whole are football fanatics.  Friday nights is all about our high school teams, Saturday our favorite college teams and all day Sunday is about our pro teams.  I think I am going to be a football widow at church again- especially if the Cowboys are playing!

Here is to a great season in a new place- we will find a way to see the Big12 play! Gig'em Aggies and good luck to Garret Gilbert at Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment